Tuesday 10 December 2013

Home Decor Christmas Frame Tutorial (Artfull Crafts)

Good morning!  This week is all about Christmas gifts over on the Artfull Crafts Blog, so I made this home decor piece with a $5 frame that I purchased from The Warehouse.  Sequins are so trendy in the crafting world right now, so I knew I wanted to feature them!  Here is the frame in our lounge, amongst our other Christmas treasures (which Azaria rearranged yesterday while I was in the shower!):


The following photos show how I made it, step-by-step.


1. First up I selected a large wood veneer star, and covered it with gold glitter using Glossy Accents.



2. I just love this patterned paper from Heidi Swapp's Believe Collection called Pepermint Stix.  I cut it to size, and then placed double sided adhesive around the edge.  


3. In order to really make the sequins pop I needed to tone down the paper so I layered some vellum over the top.  I made sure that the adhesive would be hidden inside the edge of the frame.


4. Being a bit of a perfectionist meant that I wasn't too keen on free-handing the sequins, so I made this tree template and traced around it with a pencil.


5. The final step was to glue the sequins down with Glossy Accents, making sure that I erased the pencil lines as I went up the tree. I used sequins from Teresa Collins.



And here is a close up of the finished frame.  I contemplated adding a trunk, and a word with letter stickers like American Crafts Thickers, but I decided I love the simplicity of it just like this.  I love how the gold sequins shimmer and shine!

Thanks for looking, and head over to the Artfull Crafts blog to play along with our Christmas challenges!

Have a great day
Melissa x

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous home decor piece, Melissa! Love how you used the vellum over the Heidi Swapp paper and the sequin Christmas tree is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous Melissa! So simple, yet so elegant! tfs

    ReplyDelete